Saturday, July 21, 2012

Why I LOVE This Community

You'd have to have spent the last few months under a rock to have missed the drama surrounding the book blogging community.

But I don’t want to speak about this.

I want to speak about why this community is so freaking amazing, and what it means to me. It may sound trite, or saccharine, but blogging has given me so much joy, positivity and happiness. So much more than any amount of negativity it may at times succumb to. This community is driven by enthusiasm, love and passion. And you know what? I’m not talking about bloggers. I’m not talking authors, nor publishers, nor publicists; I’m talking about all of us. What makes our magical little corner of the interwebs so amazing is not any single person, nor any single faction, but the magic that occurs when all of our powers are combined. Yup. You guys: we’re Captain Planet.

The lovely Jodi Meadows recently contributed a wonderful guest post at Literary Exploration on working with bloggers from her view as an author, and said this: “with any group of passionate people, drama happens.” There are always going to be disagreements. Hell, if my best friend and I can rarely agree on a book (True story: She 1-starred one of my all-time favorites), what’s the likelihood that someone on the other side of the globe is going to have the same opinion as me, every time? Nada. But I love that. I love discovering why someone loved a book I hated, or the opposite. In fact, I’ve bought books many times based on intriguing negative reviews. I love that this community gives me a forum to discuss what I love: books. If you’re here, I think it’s fairly safe to assume you love reading, and you love books. Chances are you’ve fangirled over an author you love, and swooned over a fictional boy (or girl). If Harry Potter has taught me anything, it’s that love is the greatest magic of all. And I love that love unites us.
"[I love] the fact that it's a COMMUNITY. people are just generally lovely, warm, and supportive. we love books and we want to share the love."
- Elena, Novel Sounds
Blogging has introduced me to some truly amazing people. Before I started a blog, before I became a card-carrying Twitter addict, and before I had more books lying around my house than I knew what to do with—or have space to shelve—I thought authors were some flavour of elusive rockstar: distant and unapproachable, cool and aloof. I still think authors are rockstars, but I’ve lost the ‘aloof’ presumption. Authors are amazing, but mostly, they’re incredibly cool, generous funny people. I never thought I’d be talking to authors on Twitter, stalking their blogs, or, you know, actually speaking to them at all. The first time an author tweeted me back after I mentioned them in a review? I lost the freaking plot. I still squeal internally when my phone buzzes, telling me that the person who penned one of my favourite books is actually aware of my existence. And you know what? They are amongst the most humble, hardworking people I know. That author you love may be working a full time job, cooking dinner, and writing their next book in-between getting the kids to bed. They’re human. They have doubts. They have bad days and good days, but they do it for the same reason we blog about it: they love it. Most authors love this community as much as we do.

And you know what? We owe a lot to authors, for without them we wouldn’t have book bloggers. When I first decided to blog, I was lost. Then I met other bloggers. Bloggers I admired helped me… and then we became friends. I still remember the moment one of my two best friends in the world and I met: it was on Twitter, fangirling over an author we both adored. We exchanged e-mail addresses, and my life hasn’t been the same since. The friendships I’ve gained blogging are amongst those I value most in the world. The times I spend talking to you guys, ‘wasting’ on Twitter, and squealing like a tween with Bieber-fever over the Etienne St.Clairs and Adrian Ivashkovs of this world are amongst of my favourite.
"It is beautiful to have met so many wonderful people. To have this tiny space, in this colossal internet universe, to express and share our thoughts and love about this beautiful passion we feel towards the book world."
- Natalia, Dazzling Reads
Bloggers are some of the most generous, warm, friendly people I’ve ever encountered. From the word ‘go’ I’ve felt accepted, embraced, and like I belong ‘here’. THIS is what blogging means to me. THIS is why I love it. I belong to an army of thousands as passionate and crazy as I am, as in love with books as I, only more wonderful, friendly, bubbly and kind than I could ever hope to become... but you guys have made me a better person. You have shown me the joy of sharing, of giving, whether it’s a book, or a moment of shared laughter. From the fierce among you, who never fail to champion those who can’t do it themselves, to those who are always there to talk, to share, and to laugh, and to the utterly insane, who I adore most of all, you mean the world to me. Every single one of you has become a kind of family. A big, insane dysfunctional one I wouldn’t swap for the world.

If you need further evidence of the love that flows through every inch of the book blogging world, take a moment to look at what these bloggers had to say when asked what they loved about this community:








At times when drama overwhelms us, our everyday lives catch up with us, or negativity seems to prevail, it’s easy to lose sight of this. Persevere. I love this community because I love the passion, the positivity, and the love we all share. Bloggers, readers, authors, publishers—and everyone inbetween—you don’t need reminding, but I want to anyway: I love you. I love what we share. I love what we’ve built together. Together as a community, we have built something beautiful. Let’s not allow narcissism, nastiness and negativity to undermine that.

So this is my loquacious way of saying something simple. Thank you: For the books, for the laughs, for the good times and the bad. Thank you for everything. Let’s take a moment to focus on the good. Let someone know you love them. Send a tweet. Stop by somewhere and leave a comment, and if you wouldn’t mind, stay for a moment, and let me know what blogging means to you.

But above all, remember: I love you guys <3

55 comments:

  1. *stands up* *huggles you* *claps* *goes back to reading*

    (you've said just about everything I've been thinking about why I love the community)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *huggles you right back*

      Thanks Amanda! I LOVE this community, and it's nice to talk about the good for a change ;D

      Delete
  2. *stands outside hotel waiting for you to emerge* *you stand in front of me* *I poke* SHE’S REAL??!?!?!?!? She’s like ME (OMG)!

    I wuvz you Saz! No matter the age gap... between every single one of us, it’s the community as the whole that defines us and not the differences in person, of what we thought about a book, of what we read. It should be books in general that brings us together and gives us something to be passionate about along with others.

    (I so can’t wait for Stormdancer launch >.<)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAVE I MENTIONED I CAN'T WAIT TO MEET YOU IN PERSON?!

      Oh, Braiden, seriously, exactly what you said. You're like a Melbournian Buddah *hugs* And I love that *IS* what unites and defines us. We just need a reminder, sometimes :)

      (LAUNCH! LAUNCH! LAUNCH! LAUNCH! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!)

      Delete
  3. I FUCKING LOVE YOU! *SUPERMASSIVE HUGGLES!!!!!!*

    This is seriously a post that was so desperately needed right now and I hope everyone reads it and gets that warm squishy feeling inside like I did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I FUCKING LOVE YOU! DID YOU KNOW? :D


      Thanks so much Jenn! There is SO much happy and positivity. It's nice to focus on sometimes ^___^

      Delete
  4. Thank you for this post! Everything you said is so true, and it's a wonderful to see a non-review post that shines the light on all the awesome things about the book blogging community, especially in the view of all the current drama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much, Sharon! There is SO much good and SO much positivity around if we just look for it. The drama is so... ugh. Upsetting and dissapointing, it's nice to focus on the good, occasionally :)

      Delete
  5. Awwwww my dear!! <3333
    I couldn't have say it better. Your thoughts express so well every feeling and emotion I have experience since I joined this wonderful community. Meeting people so much like me that, as you said, will go nuts and all fangirling over Etienne St-Clairs an Adrian Ivashkovs (though in my case is Dimitri Belikov, the girls can have Adrian if they please XD but hands-off of my Dimitri <3) lol!
    It is beautiful to have meet so many wonderful people. To have this tiny space, in this colossal internet universe, to express and share our thoughts and love about this beautiful passion we feel towards book world =). That includes readers, bloggers, authors, publishers, agents, etc, etc! We all have this one thing in common, and that is SO important in our life, that unites all! <333 Our love of reading, our love of books, and our love to help each other <3333

    ^_^

    wonderful post my dear!!

    LOVE YOU!!!!!! <333333333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NATALIIIIIA! Oh my goodness. "Thanks so much, Sharon! There is SO much good and SO much positivity around. I love :D" THISSSS!

      You made my day with that comment. Thank you so so much, and I LOVE YOU! ♥

      Delete
  6. I love you so hard, S! This post is just perfect. I don't know if I can add anything else except you said everything so eloquently. We come for the books but we stay for the community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe! I hope you know the feeling's entirely mutual :D
      "We come for the books but we stay for the community."

      THIS THIS THIS! ♥♥♥

      Delete
  7. I couldn't have said it any better. This is full of love and support and that's how it should be. There's a small number of people who wreck the community for others but we shouldn't let it get in the way. Our similarities should be the most important fact, not our differences. We all should learn that not everyone will like a certain book, and respect that. I love the book blogging community. Everyone is sweet, and generous and we all share the same passion: books!

    Wonderful post Saz! Love you too! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Our similarities should be the most important fact, not our differences."

      Giselle, I don't think you could have said this ANY better. And that applies to so much more than just our little communtiy. I wish people would take this further, and apply it to everything in their lives ♥

      Delete
  8. Sarah! This is so beautiful and eloquent and just plain ahhhh! Yes. Just yes.
    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww, Sarah. :') This post was TOTES cute, ohmahhhgawwssh. Blogger drama is one of the few downsides to blogging of course, but being able to talk to my friends on Twitter about books and other things (LIKE YOU) definitely outweighs that negative aspect. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Gianna! And absolutely! All the GOOD and the fun and the friends so outweigh the bad :)

      Delete
  10. Sarah, you are seriously one of the most awesomest people ever! i love all the blogging community appreciation post you keep writing again and again! This one sparks sweetness!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aaaaw Sarah, I love you!! You seriously rock. <33 Keep blogging forever! WE love you so much. And you just basically summed up everything I love and adore about our wonderful, supportive community. I'm so happy and thankful for all the things I've learned and all the lovely friends I've made who continue to inspire me every single day. I love you guys! :')

    Awesome post, Sarah!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KAJGDJAFG! *hugs* thank you so much!

      " I'm so happy and thankful for all the things I've learned and all the lovely friends I've made who continue to inspire me every single day. I love you guys! :')" THIS THIS THIS!

      Delete
  12. Amen.

    Love you too!

    P.S. Captain Planet rocks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehhe! CAPTAIN PLANET, HE'S OUR HERO! GONNA TAKE POLLUTION DOWN TO ZERO. HE'S OUR POWERS, MAGNIFIED, AND HE'S FIGHTING FOR THE---- PLANET SIDE!

      We're the planeteers! You can be one too! 'Cos saving the planet is the thing to do! Looting and polluting! Is not the way! So hear what Captain Planet! Has to Say!

      GO PLANET!


      I seriously have all that from memory O___O

      Delete
  13. This is one of the most eloquent responses to all of this drama shit (which is a main reason why I haven't been blogging frequently for the last six months). What I love about blogging, as an aspiring author, is seeing how people react to different kinds of books since it ultimately helps me decide what to place in my novel-in-progress. Reader reaction is such an important aspect of writing, and blogs are a great place to observe it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so so much! There is so much good and positivity in our community it's lovely to focus on. It's lovely hearing from authors who love it, too ♥

      Delete
  14. Saz, this post is AMAZING. Almost as amazing as you ;)

    Love you. Always

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AND I LOVE YOU.
      ALWAYS.

      AND AKHGJAHFHGADSHSDA. YOU SAID ALWAYS *SOBS*
      ♥♥♥♥♥♥
      ♥♥♥♥♥♥
      ♥♥♥♥♥♥
      ♥♥♥♥♥♥

      Delete
    2. I only said it cos it was true

      BTW, is CAPS how you're feeling on the inside right now?

      *hugs*

      Delete
  15. AWWWW I LOVE YOU TOO! You and your blog are amazing and it's no surprise that we all adored you immediately. This blog post should be sent around the blogosphere because it is so true <3 I wouldn't even be able to put this into words so GOOD JOB! You always know what to say ;) Mwah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Lisa! THank you! And seriously, it's hard not to fall in love with blogging when there's so many insanely lovely Aussie BBs :)

      ♥♥♥

      Delete
  16. I think everyone loves you right about now. Me included! *stands and applaused* Well done. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeep! *hugs* I love everyone, and I love all the love going around, too! Thanks so much, Hannah ♥

      Delete
  17. WHAT IS IT WITH YOU. YOUR LIKE THIS LITTLE ALIEN WHO IS AMAZING AND LOVES BOOKS AND THIS IS THE SECOND TIME I'VE NEARLY GOTTEN TEARY IN THE LAST WEEK.

    Seriously, this deserves a standing ovation! Love, love, love it.

    When I think of the book blogging community I think of ALL this. You've taken all the words and feelings and love straight out of my mouth and put it into this perfect post. And it's awesome.

    Your so positive. Even though a book blogging scandal happens every week (who knew we were this interesting...) your looking past that and have taken the time to sit down and write what you love and cherish about the community as well as getting other bloggers opinions into the mix. If only more people could follow in the footsteps of you. You truly are a model citizen, erm, blogger.

    *sqeee* My five minutes of fame! Although I hope I have more than five minutes... ;)

    Aw, I love you too. Your so special and lovely and sweet and caring and beautiful and I freaking love you. I hope you know your very special to me. *huggles*

    Thanks for being you.

    <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *HUGGLES YOU*
      Becca, I ADORE you, hon! It's seriously hard NOT to be positive when I'm surrounded by people like you and all the amazing Aussie AND international book bloggers around *hugs*

      ♥♥♥

      Delete
  18. Replies
    1. *HUGS*
      I ♥ Lisa. Because she's BEATIFUL.
      And rather awesome :D

      Delete
  19. Our Sazbah

    She knows how to make us laugh
    She knows how to make us cry
    She has the best sense of humor
    Even when it's dry

    She writes from the heart
    She has a way with words
    She doesn't even know
    How much she means to us book nerds

    And though this post is beautiful
    Perfect for this Book Blogging era
    Something more amazing is
    The one and only Sarah

    by Jennifer ~ A devoted fan and friend. :)

    PS: Stop being so awesome, you are making the rest of us look bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennnnnnnnn! I was going to say you made my day, but it's kind of more like you made my life *huggles* for serious ♥

      Delete
  20. Lan @ The Write ObsessionJuly 21, 2012 at 9:05 PM

    You always manage to say everything that I want to in the most perfect way. There have been times when I've been in such a flurry about my writing all I have to do is get on my blog and talk about it. Even when someone has something negative to say, it's always done constructively. I dot think I'd still be sane without friends like you and others I've made on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVE YOU TOO, SARAH! This is just the most awesomest post in the history of posts, eveeeeer! :D

    I love the book blogging community, because they get it. They get why I cry over books, why I laugh, why I get excited when a certain book arrives in the post, when I get to meet an author I've been fangirling over since I first discovered them, why I have fictional crushes, why I read. There are so many people I know IRL who don't get most of those things. Not only do they get it, but even if they don't agree regarding the specific author/book/fic. boy, they share it with you, because they've felt it over their own author/book/fic. boy. And we can be all excited/excited for each other together. That's the point, we do it together. I love being able to say we, include myself in it, know there's people out there who are just like me, who share this love, this passion for reading. That I can write a blog post or tweet of excitement, and even if no-one replies, I know there will be someone thinking "I know!". It's just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Aww, I love you too, Sarah! *Hugssssssss*

    Seriously, Sarah, what an awesome post. I haven't been blogging long, but I've felt accepted and a part of this community since the very beginning. You've basically summed up everything I feel. I love being able to talk about books with so many other people, and I love the fact that everyone's warm and friendly and we all get along brilliantly even though the vast majority us have never met each other. I love the fact that we all understand each other, even more than people we know in real life do. Almost no-one else in my life would get it if I suddenly squealed in excitement over a book in front of them. But here....we all have the same passion.

    Fabulous post, Sarah! More hugs! :)

    -Aa'Ishah

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is all so true, when I first started my blog I was overwhelmed at how nice the blogging community is! Nothing cheers me up more than the blogging world. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Amazing post Sarah! Posts like these make me love the blogging community ever more! It is so great to be able to talk to other people from all over the world who love to read and who are so supportive of each other! Thank you so much for creating this awesome post and it really made my day :)

    p.s. Love the new blog design!

    ReplyDelete
  25. i love meeting ppl who love books like me . loves
    i <3 this post and hugss to sarah

    ps captain planet. awesome

    ReplyDelete
  26. You just said everything I feel perfectly! It's an absolutely lovely post and I love it to death. As some have said, it's something I definitely needed too at this time and it just makes me so happy reading your posts and its comment! It's great to be reminded of the awesomeness of this community in these drama-times, even if we all know it.

    We all love you too! <3

    ReplyDelete
  27. Excellent, amazing, beautiful post.
    Thank you, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  28. A brilliant, brilliant post! I think we all need to read something like this. I love the book blogging community too. How can I not?! All the support and all the friends I've made, and not to mention all the awesome BOOKS I've discovered... it wouldn't be without fellow bloggers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Well, I think I've spent my time under a rock. Everyone keeps talking about stuff and I have no idea what's going on ;) but I love blogging and meeting people who love books as much as I do!! And fans finding new books!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This post completely my day! I absolutely agree with everything you said. I love all the friends I've made in the blogging community and how I can share my love for books with them! *sobs* LOVE THIS POST SO MUCH!

    YOU, my dear Sarah, is AMAZING and I LOVE YOU SO MUCH ♥

    ReplyDelete
  31. You are amazing-tastic cupcake..and i totally agree. I have been blogging for almost a year and the blogging community has given me ~ book loving friends, authors and a platform to share my passion for reading! I have only had positive experiences and I hope that doesn't change.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I don't even know what to say. This post is BEAUTIFUL, SARAH. It's like you transcoded all the blood and arteries of my heart into words on a computer. I KNEW there was a reason you were a CSS Queen!!

    The love emananting from this post just blows me away. It's EVERYTHING I feel and somehow makes me love you a billion times more than I did.

    I've been apart of many different online forums and communities over the years, some have been incredibly precious to me, but I can say without doubt that the blogging community tops them all. I began reading book blogs for a good year or so before I actually made my own, but both my experiences as a reader and a blogger have been brimming with positivity and love. The PEOPLE. The books are one huge element; obviously, we blog because we love reading, but I think we love it for the people who make it worthwhile. I have met THE most incredible friends who truly brighten my day. Doesn't matter if I'm in a crappy mood or feeling out of sorts - pop on twitter or read a post on Google Reader and you guys wash away all the woes.

    Seriously, we should all pool our funds together and buy a small island. We can have a communal library (it'll be the biggest damn library in the WORLD) and all live in camps together. But separate shower facilities. And you can be our chef. IT'LL BE SO MUCH EFFING FUN.

    You. This Post. No words. Perfection can't be described <3

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you for writing this post, hun! I think we all needed to read something positive because everything seems so crapola right now :) xox

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is a really great post!!! :) The blogging community is an amazing place, and even if there IS drama, I'm still going to encourage the bloggers to keep doing what they're doing. They make reading fun and it's nice to know that there are people out there exactly like me who are kept up at night with a good book in their hands, feeding their brains with wonderful stories.

    Seriously, book bloggers are totally awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin


Currently Reading:

Follow Me

Can't see Google Friend Connect? Join This Site

Blog Archive

Want an e-mail notification when there's a new post at saz101? Enter your e-mail, and the Feedburner faeries will answer your wishes ♥

 

I receive books from publishers, in exchange for honest reviews. When this is the case, I state so at the end of each post. This doesn't effect my review of the book, or my opinion, and I receive no monetary compensation for anything posted on this site.
When you click on a link to Amazon from www.saz101.com, I receive a small referral fee on any purchases made. It won't cost you any more to buy your books this way, but it does help to support this blog.
If you have any questions about any of the content on this site, contact me :)