Sunday, July 1, 2012

Potterthon: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone Readalong


"Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much."

Welcome to the inaugural Potterthon Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone Readalong! Still haven't read the book where it all started? Overdue for a re-read? Lauren is prepping her shotgun as we speak. Sarah suggests a more muggle-friendly approach: add your name to the linky below, and read the first book in The Single Greatest Series of All Time* with us throughout the month of July. Need more incentive to join? Every participant in the readalong automatically goes into the draw to win fantastic giveaway items, including a pre-order of J.K. Rowling's first new book in five years: The Casual Vacancy.

Starting today, we'll be starting at the very best place to start a book: Chapter 1, Page 1. While we have a schedule for the sake of this being a read-together readalong, feel free to read at your own pace. Most of all, remember to have fun and enjoy the magic. At the end of each week, Lauren will be hosting a book discussion talking about our favorite characters and scenes and discussing our progress.

Want to talk? Us too! Use the Twitter hastag #potterthonalong to join the conversation!
Now. Get on with it! Start reading!

Schedule:

Week 1: 1-7 July
 Read Chapters 1 - 4
Saturday 7th July -  Book Discussion & Progress at Lauren's Loquacious Literature

Week 2: 8 - 14 July
Chapters 5 - 8
Saturday 14th July -  Book Discussion & Progress at Lauren's Loquacious Literature

Week 3: 15 - 21 July
Chapters 9 - 12
Saturday 21st July -  Book Discussion & Progress at Lauren's Loquacious Literature

Week 4: 22 - 31 July
Chapters 13 - 17
Saturday 28th July -  Book Discussion & Progress at Lauren's Loquacious Literature
Tuesday 31st July: Happy Birthday, Harry!

The Linky!

Add your name and link to the list (a Twitter page is fine!) and readalong with us!

Rules and the Random Bits:

  1. Lauren and Sarah will use the SAME Linky, so please enter your name on one blog.
  2. There's a schedule, but feel free to read at your own pace--have fun!
  3. Listening to the Stephen Fry audiobook is entirely acceptable :)
  4. Entering your name to the Linky automatically enters you into the draw for our giveaway!
  5. Firsts years should note that the forest in the grounds is forbidden to all pupils, and a few of our older students would do well to remember that as well.
  6. The third floor corridor on the right hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a  very painful death
* Based on 100% reliable scientific research.

30 comments:

  1. I don't know where my copy of this book is!! Otherwise I would totally jump on this band wagon. Maybe I'll come on board when you get to the later books. Keep me posted Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lan! Hehe, my Harry Potters have a special shelf along with a stuffed Hedwig toy I got for pre-ordering Deathly Hallows. So they're hard to lose. Though I *WAS* missing Azkaban for about a year while my Mum borrowed it :)

      Will TOTALLY keep you posted xx

      Delete
  2. I read 5 chapters today, so I'm only ONE over the schedule, but there is a very good chance I will continue again this week, so..... BUT YOU'RE INSPIRING ME TO READ THE ENTIRE SERIES NOW!! Something I've wanted to do since FOREVER :D

    Buahahaha.... *nods at Sonia and Faye*
    *waits until Professor Sarah and Professor Lauren shut up*

    WANNA GO DRINK FIREWHISKEY AND CHASE CENTAURS IN THE FOREST, GIRLS?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brodie is now receiving treatment at St. Mungo's Hospital for Magaical Maladies and Injuries after discovering that one cannot 'chase a centaur' and that it's unwise to approach one, especially when drunk.

      Delete
    2. OF COURSE!!! :D

      *whistles*
      It was Brodie's idea Professor Sarah, I just, y'know, didn't help out because there was this cool little... *cough* I mean...
      I WASN'T EVEN IN THE FOREST WITH HER, GOD.

      Delete
    3. Ahahahaha! I think we're going to keep reading ahead, too. Also, I seriously laughed out loud at this... then forced husbandman to listen as I read it out to him :P

      I TOLD you to stay out of the forest :P

      FAYE: WE'RE WATCHING YOU O___O
      :P

      Delete
  3. Yay!! :D I'm so happy you came up with this (and went through with it *dances*)!

    I'm seriously excited. Just have to get my bookshelf ready in the new apartment! Reading corner is all done though, and giving the first time to Harry, definitely sounds like a great plan! Can't wait to re-visit this magical world and joining the discussions! Btw, you totally need to continue with one book each month now. ;)

    (LOL, I love the Forbidden Forest warnings...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahaha! Glad you enjoyed! SOOOOO excited you're reading, too!! Oh, seriously, I can't think of any better way to inaugurate your reading space :D

      Delete
  4. You so know I'm joining in with this xD

    and I am also going to be watching all EIGHT movies during the month
    and I have something special planned for the weekend of 13th-15th July but hush up for now :P

    LOVE THIS IDEA. AND YOU.

    And I clearly need to get to know Professor Lauren better *nods*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AND YOU KNOW I LOVE YOU. Oh my goodness, YES YES YES TO MOVIETHON! Lauren and I are planning the same thing, and as for this somethign special? *BOUNCES* Can't wait! ♥

      Delete
  5. I just finished reading my other book just so that I could join in with this! ^.^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EEEEE! So excited! You should see the crazy grin on my face right now--so excited to be reading along with so many amazing people! ♥

      Delete
  6. I'm not going to read with you guys, but I'll definitely come here to talk about it! I have read the books so many times, that I know almost exactly what happens :) But I think this is really a wonderful thing you do. I hope a lot of people who haven't read HP will participate ^^ Nobody can live withouth HP! Haha.

    I think I'll make my own marathon when I'm heading to France for my vacation ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. France AND Harry Potter? Oh my word, Mel! Sounds like PARADISE! Can't wait to talk more Harry with you! :D

      Delete
  7. I think I may join in by listening to the audiobook if I can get it from the library in time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be EPIC! I've only ever read the books, but this is actually thr first time reading ink on paper for Lauren! She's only ever Audiobooked before! :D

      Delete
    2. Well I only just read the books for the first time last year, so it'd be my first time listening to the audiobook, which I hear is great! I'm still 4th on the waitlist, so I may not be participating. :-/

      Delete
  8. I have a copy of the book on my book shelf (which my sister never returned to her 5th grade teacher), so I am definitely participating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahahah! It's the most fantastic book. SO excited to have you reading, too! xx

      Delete
  9. SARAH!!!!!! *sobs* I should have joined this read-a-long! BUT GAH, I still need to read Chamber of Secrets! And the rest of the books in the series! *smacks forehead a billion times* But EEEEE, I can't wait for the discussion posts! Long Live Harry Potter, The Boy Who Lived!

    ReplyDelete
  10. FSA;LKJF;LAJSF;KLJDSA I'M SO RIDICULOUSLY EXCITED FOR THIS. Thanks SO much for arranging the event, you guys, and I can't wait to join in on the discussion posts and such! I have Potterfever again now--it's official :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. I JUST read this in April otherwise I would totally join in. I feel all sad and lonely. If I had waited another couple months I could have joined in the fun that is Potterthon! Oh well... Have fun Sarah and all you other obsessed, crazy fans!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is going to be so much fun! I read the books as they were released, which means I haven't read them in years! Some of them are on my bookshelf and others are hiding around the house somewhere, so I'll be sure to find them and start reading. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just re-read The Sorcerer's Stone and the Chamber of Secrets! If I hadn't I would have totally joined in on this read a long, such a great idea. I'll have to keep it in mind for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this readalong idea! Saw the button on another site and new I had to join! Any excuse to re-read Harry Potter is a good one. I'm a new follower via GFC! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ok, I'm in :D I thought about it & decided to join, I know it will be fun! I'll listen to the audio book read by Stephen Fry :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have the whole series right next to my Percy Jackson and Alex Rider collections!
    Will be reading along!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just started following this blog. LOVE the idea of the Potterthon and especially loved rules 5 & 6. I am well overdue for a timewarp back to the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  18. ahhh this sounds sooo cool....but I don't have a copy of HP :( sad I know :/

    -JennyC

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Lauren, I've been re-reading all harry potter at least three times, I like to join this event to celebrate again on the magic of Harry Potter, after sign in what should I do next ? Must join the discussion too or simply link my review on the reading ?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin


Currently Reading:

Follow Me

Can't see Google Friend Connect? Join This Site

Blog Archive

Want an e-mail notification when there's a new post at saz101? Enter your e-mail, and the Feedburner faeries will answer your wishes ♥

 

I receive books from publishers, in exchange for honest reviews. When this is the case, I state so at the end of each post. This doesn't effect my review of the book, or my opinion, and I receive no monetary compensation for anything posted on this site.
When you click on a link to Amazon from www.saz101.com, I receive a small referral fee on any purchases made. It won't cost you any more to buy your books this way, but it does help to support this blog.
If you have any questions about any of the content on this site, contact me :)