Friday, July 27, 2012

Losing Lila (Hunting Lila #2), Sarah Alderson

Title: Losing Lila
Author: Sarah Alderson (author website)
Release Date: Aug. 2nd 2012 by Simon & Schuster Aus.
Age Group: Young Adult
Genre: Paranormal
My Rating:1 star2 star3 star4 star

Sarah Alderson's books are like the hot pizza delivery boy: delicious, satisfying meal, plus perks you didn't even expect... She won ardent fans everywhere with her sexy, action-packed debut, Hunting Lila, and she’s at it again in Losing Lila, only more so. The romance is hotter, the stakes are higher, and the explosions, gunfights and chases are even more exciting. Yep, it’s time to buckle your seatbelts and load your weapons: Sarah's delivered again.

From Goodreads:
Alex and Lila are on the run, desperately trying to stay one step ahead of the Unit, which somehow is managing to track their every move. Whilst Alex is determined to keep Lila safe and her ability secret at any cost, Lila’s only thought is of finding a way back to California so that she can rescue her brother and mother from the military base where they’re being held.

Struggling to control both her growing power and her deepening feelings for Alex, Lila decides the time has finally come to stop running and start fighting. Together with Alex, Demos, and the people she’s come to think of as family, Lila plans not just to save her brother and mother, but to completely destroy the Unit and everything it stands for.

But the plan requires Lila to return alone to California, make friends with the enemy, and to risk losing everything - Alex, her family, and even her life.

The Story:

On the run, and hunted like an animal due to her telekinesis, seventeen year old Lila Loveday is a ‘Psy’, born with unique mental powers. Powers shady special-ops team ‘The Unit’ will stop at nothing to possess. But Lila’s done running. Teaming up with the group of Psys who kidnapped and saved her in Hunting Lila, Lila and her smoking hot, ex-Unit Marine boyfriend, Alex, are about to start fighting back.

Action, deadly secrets and espionage collide in the Lila duology’s thrilling conclusion.

The 101:

Losing Lila is the book stripped bare: while Hunting Lila was full of action, there was also a lot of build, setup, and teenage longing. Now, with the scene set, and players placed, Alderson jumps straight into the excitement. There's not an ounce of fat on Lila, nothing superfluous. Anything that's not heart stopping action or bone melting romance is absent. Alderson aims for blockbuster entertainment value, and succeeds.

Our titular protagonist is back, and she’s... better. Though set only days after Hunting Lila’s conclusion, Lila has grown. She’s tougher, more determined and stronger—in more ways than one. Lila’s still impulsive, but she’s grounded in the knowledge of what she’s up against, and what she’s truly capable of—which seems to be just about anything. Lila’s become an unstoppable force, and to her, there’s no such thing as an immovable object. But she does question herself, does think things through. Lila doesn’t hesitate to put herself on the line to accomplish her goals, but after her losses, she stubbornly refuses to allow those she cares about to do the same. She’s a wonderful, fun, vibrant character, and readers will delight in watching her truly come into herself, and her powers.

The romance between Alex and Lila is intensified, and there’s a shift from what seemed a one-sided infatuation for a good part of Hunting Lila, to something far deeper, something mutually acknowledged and shared; something beautiful. The chemistry between the couple is hot enough to melt rock, and Alderson ups the ante with scenes crackling with electricity, both eminently satisfying and deliciously frustrating.

Yet, once again, this is about more than romance, more than Alex and Lila: Alderson never loses sight of the bigger picture, driving her story at a thrilling, rocketing pace. The betrayals, secrets, and stakes are higher than ever before as we learn more about what The Unit is truly capable of, and are truly planning. It would be a crime not to mention the large cast of characters who each come vividly to life, from the hilarious, fun, flirtatious Nate and Suki, to the focused, driven Demos. All are fleshed out, more real and wonderful additions.

The Verdict:

It’s no surprise Sarah Alderson delivers the goods again in Losing Lila, but it is surprising how far she surpasses her already remarkable talent. An action-packed, sexy, pulse-thumping thrill-ride, Losing Lila reads like Jason Bourne meets X-Men (minus the camp). With no cliffhanger this time round, Losing Lila's compulsively readable, smoking hot, and enormously entertaining, what more could you ask for… other than Lila 3.0?

Books in This Series:

  1. Catching Suki (#0.5) (2012)
  2. Hunting Lila (2011)
  3. Losing Lila

Want it? Get it:

Angus & Robertson | Booktopia | Borders | Dymocks | QBD

Psssst... want more Lila? Goodness knows I do! Stay tunedfor Sarah's Losing Lila blog tour, starting August 2nd!


An enormous thank you to Simon and Schuster Australia  for providing a review copy of Losing Lila

25 comments:

  1. What is it with you lately? Your on fire!

    This review is awesome. I LOVE it. YES to everything you said!

    For me Losing Lila delivered and then some. The action scenes were off the chart! And Alex? SWOON. Lila? Just as awesome as ever. I REALLY need Lila 3.0! Let's start petitioning ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *huggles your face*

      "For me Losing Lila delivered and then some." THIS. I just... I expected GOOD. but THIS good? PHWOAR. Sarah ROCKS. It must be the name *is so impressed with own modesty*

      ^__^

      Delete
    2. *huggles* *squishes your face*

      Same! I was expecting amazing but she hit the ball outta the park. WHOOSH. Sarah is SO rockin'. Anyone with the name Sarah is amazing and they should given chocolate and cupcake for being so awesome. *huggles your face back* ;)

      Delete
  2. OMG!!!! Dear! holy cow!! I pre-ordered this one already and I cant wait to get it (hopefully next week!) but I had no idea it was a duology! so that's it? finito? noooooooooooooooooo!!!!! I want more Alex!!! aaaaaah!!

    excellent review my dear. Cant wait until I get my copy aaah!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *sobs* that's it!
      ... for now :D
      Sarah's said something along the lines of she'd *LIKE* to do more books in the future, but she's not working on any for the moment... but seriously, Natalia, LL is SOOOO fun, and it's such a wonderful, delicious satisfying end and... I KNOW you'll love it! *dances*

      Delete
  3. BAHAHA! THIS REVIEW IS DA BOMB! Loving the pizza and “food for thought” sort of theme you have going on through it: "There's not an ounce of fat on Lila, nothing superfluous. Anything that's not heart stopping action or bone melting romance is absent.” It makes me hungry.

    And yes definitely I saw a Bourne influence in it. Very frakken cool that we’re like twins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahahaha! Oh goodness, Braiden, I didn't even think of the food theme until this... I think I was craving pizza big time when I wrote it... Ha!

      Oh goodness, we are SO twins. And, like, we even LOOK alike... in that... we both look like humans :D

      The age gap? Weird time-space-continuum rift between Sydney and Melbourne. CLEARLY ^__^

      Delete
  4. OMG Sarah!!! How are you getting all these awesome ARCs???? You should see my face right now... it's the color of seaweed!! Literally. -.- Anyway... FABULOUS review, sweetie!! You make me want - scratch that - NEED this book RIGHT NOW. I can't wait to find out what happens and meet Alex and fall in live with him all over again. :') Sarah Alderson ROCKS!! Heehee I'm starting to think ALL Sarah's rock??? <333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel SO lucky and blessed, seriously!

      It's so so SO wonderful, and I swear, it's even better than Hunting Lila like I can't even SAY. Can't wait for you to get it and review! ♥♥♥

      Delete
  5. Great review, Sarah! Read this book last week and LOVED it! I thought this book had much more action in it than the first book, which was a nice change up and my heart was literally racing as I read the action . . . pretty awesome. Though I admit, I may have loved Hunting Lila a little more than the sequel, but boy . . . Alex and Lila . . . need more from them so I can't wait for the third book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES YES YES YES! I just... I thought HL was exciting, but oh my GOODNESS did she up the ante like ANYTHING! I seriously hope we get to see some more Alex and Lila! I think I may have heard something about another short story? ♥

      Delete
  6. Can't wait for the tour!!!! I really want to read this and hunting Lila too! first i have to find a copy.
    Fantastic, amazing written, gripping review full of ingenious phrases i love. "rocketing pace" , "like a hot delivery boy" are my favorites!
    You defiantly convinced me to try harder to find an available copy of this book and Hunting lila.
    Can't wait for the tour!
    Rachel
    Happy Friday!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. *grins at the first line* Hee, you DID keep it in <3 But I'm with Braiden, this review makes me HUNGRY and I'm a breath away from ringing up and ordering pizza. Even though I just finished dinner.

    But anyway, YOU. WITH THE REVIEW. AND THE AMAZING PERFECTION OF IT ALL. I was just NOT expecting everything to be so much BETTER. I mean, HL was already brilliant, but.... she just... and the characters... and the ACTION... and the swoony ... and WOW, ALDERSON. You got skill. But then she makes you love these characters and the danger they're in so much more and... *CRIES* it's all OVER?! I WANT BOOK THREE, SARAH #1 AND SARAH #2 :(

    Alsoooo: *steals your review* *runs away with arms flapping* MINE NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG SARAH. LOSING LILA! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH, even more than Hunting Lila (Wow, I can't believe I just said that!) Sarah Alderson is such an AMAZING writer! Alex and Lila = PERFECT. *sigh* I LOVE LOVE LOVE their relationship. Alex, tu est tres magnifique :P

    Awesome review, Sarah! ♥ You're 101 AMAZING ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OKay, now this sounds like the book for me. I haven't even heard of this series. I am in love with Jason Bourne, so anything like that is my cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome review, Sarah! I absolutely loved Losing Lila! But the ending disappointed me a little. There are too many questions left unanswered. And that's the end? If it was book two of a longer series, it would be fine, but the end of the whole thing? I want book three! SARAH, PLEASE WRITE BOOK THREE! Thanks for the brilliant review, Sarah! Loved the first line - though I don't like pizza >.>

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have SUCH wicked review skilz, Sarah, it's mesmerizing. Why, if I weren't already excited for this book, I'd break into the nearest book store in the UK and hold them up until I got a copy of this book. Oooh, no, better I'll fly to Australia so I can stalk you afterward...

    ANYWAY. This book needs to get into my hands. I will do anything. Luckily, I don't have to because LIZ (@planetprint) effing ROCKS :-) I'm just tellin' everybody today, it seems, because I'm so darn excited...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooooh, another series to add to my TBR! *runs off to Goodreads immediately*

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one! While I really liked Hunting Lila, the one-sided infatuation grated on me a bit, so I'm thrilled to hear that the relationship between Lila and Alex truly blossoms in this one. Plus, the never-ending action is definitely one to look out for! Amazing review! :D

    ~Keertana
    Ivy Book Bindings

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic review, Sarah! I'm so glad you enjoyed this too. I agree with your points about Lila. I liked her in Hunting Lila but loved her in this one. She is much tougher and it was definitely a good improvement! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, you make me even more excited for this book! I enjoyed Hunting Lila and to hear that the main character got even BETTER makes me so happy. I'm glad the relationship between Lila and Alex is explored more too. Fantastic review as always, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  16. HOW are you so awesome at writing reviews.. Wait, no. HOW ARE YOU SO AWESOME?

    As if I wasn't already hanging out for Losing Lila (my local bookstore STILL hasn't got it in and as a result I've preordered it for the minute it comes in store) and this review... Oh my, it doesn't help my longing for more of Lila's awesomeness or Alex's... What? Sorry I was momentarily dsitracted by the thought of Alex... *sigh*

    "Anything that's not heart stopping action or bone melting romance is absent. Alderson aims for blockbuster entertainment value, and succeeds." = Awesome!

    Great review Sarah :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really enjoyed this, especially after our Hunting Lila discussion today ;) I am hoping that in this book, Lila doesn't irritate me so much and I'll be even more excited if the focus is off the romance! Great review, hun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really wana kick myself right now! I havent read the first book yet and I am freaking out! I want to read Haunting Lila before the sequels comes out! I want to meet Lila and Alex already! *grabs hair and runs to the shelf* *looks for Haunting Lila book*

    Wonderful review Sarah! x<3

    Ƹ̴Ӂ̴ƷFICBOOKREVIEWSƸ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

    ReplyDelete
  19. I read the first and am now reading the second book. Firstly your review of the second book was NOT accurate because so far I am bored out of my brains Secondly there is no suspense to Lila and Alex's relationship because they are together now. Thirdly I hope that the rest of the book isn't do boring

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin


Currently Reading:

Follow Me

Can't see Google Friend Connect? Join This Site

Blog Archive

Want an e-mail notification when there's a new post at saz101? Enter your e-mail, and the Feedburner faeries will answer your wishes ♥

 

I receive books from publishers, in exchange for honest reviews. When this is the case, I state so at the end of each post. This doesn't effect my review of the book, or my opinion, and I receive no monetary compensation for anything posted on this site.
When you click on a link to Amazon from www.saz101.com, I receive a small referral fee on any purchases made. It won't cost you any more to buy your books this way, but it does help to support this blog.
If you have any questions about any of the content on this site, contact me :)