Tuesday, February 7, 2012

A Million Suns (Across The Universe #2), Beth Revis

Title: A Million Suns
Author: Beth Revis (author website)
Release Date: January 10th 2012 by Razorbill
Age Group: Young Adult
Genre: Sci-Fi/Dystopia
My Rating:1 star2 star3 star4 starhalf star>

From the very first chapter of Across The Universe, I was hooked, and months later I was still haunted by the gorgeous writing, eerie stillness and quiet menace onboard Godspeed. So to say I had high expectations for A Million Suns would be a tiny bit of an understatement. As if I expected anything else from the brilliant Beth Revis--A Million Suns delivers without missing a beat.

From Goodreads:
Godspeed was fueled by lies. Now it is ruled by chaos.

It's been three months since Amy was unplugged. The life she always knew is over. And everywhere she looks, she sees the walls of the spaceship Godspeed. But there may just be hope: Elder has assumed leadership of the ship. He's finally free to enact his vision - no more Phydus, no more lies.

But when Elder discovers shocking news about the ship, he and Amy race to discover the truth behind life on Godspeed. They must work together to unlock a puzzle that was set in motion hundreds of years earlier, unable to fight the romance that's growing between them and the chaos that threatens to tear them apart.

In book two of the Across the Universe trilogy, New York Times bestselling author Beth Revis mesmerizes us again with a brilliantly crafted mystery filled with action, suspense, romance, and deep philosophical questions. And this time it all builds to one mind-bending conclusion: They have to get off this ship.

WARNING! WARNING! SPOILER, WILL ROBINSON:
From this point onwards, there are spoilers for bk 1, Across The Universe, but NOT for the book itself. Read AtU first. It's works better if you know nothing. Trust me.

While the first chapter of A Million Suns lacks the abject horror Across The Universe inspired in me, it's equally as shocking in an entirely different way. The quiet menace I mentioned from Across The Universe? It's gone, replaced with panic and unrest verging on chaos. Revis throws the reader right back in the deep end and doesn't miss a beat. Things on Godspeed are not as they seem, and tensions are high. With the removal of Phydus to control the ship's population, there are whispers of revolution, and Elder, while growing into a leader, is out of his depth and not in control. It doesn't help that the people he relies on to run the ship are keeping secrets; it adds to the confusion and mystery, while being simultaneously frightening. There's this scary idea that with each generation of leadership to pass, more and more of the ships purpose and history are lost. If something happens to Elder, what will happen to the ship? If something happens to Doc, who will provide medical care, and who will know the secrets of the Frozens and how to care for them? With the loss of Eldest, how much knowledge has been lost? Elder is struggling to maintain control... Meanwhile, Amy is tracing a series of cryptic clues across the ship that unlock secrets far more terrifying than the current political climate for Godspeed.

Across The Universe left Amy and Elder in a rather ambiguous place, and A Million Suns picks up from there. Amy is trying to forgive Elder. She has no one else on the ship in whom to confide or turn, and she desperately misses her parents, her life as she understood it. She's in constant danger as the resident 'Freak'. Rather than attaching herself to Elder, she considers her future and considers her options. Despite it being an easy choice, she refuses to jump into something 'more' with Elder. She asks herself what she wants and what she needs. She thinks, she considers, and I loved her for this.

I loved the shifting POV in Across The Universe, and I loved it again here. Both for the contrasting outsider/insider views of the workings of Godspeed, and watching Amy and Elder grow closer. The concern Elder feels for Amy is touching, but it's at odds with the responsibility and obligations he has to the whole population of Godspeed. Meanwhile, the reluctance Amy feels towards something more with Elder is beautifully done. Neither Amy or Elder are entirely forthright with each other, but despite hurt, complications, and a far bigger picture, Revis shows a slow, beautiful unthawing of each to the other, and when they start to work together, it's a beautiful thing... Before it all spirals back out of control. Both Amy and Elder grow in A Million Suns, and we saw more of themselves shining through. Both are very imperfect beings, and make more than their fair share of mistakes, and I found myself at turns loving and hating them. Amy's stubborn and headstrong, but this can turn to selfishness at times. Meanwhile, Elder is impulsive, and this gets him in hot water on more than one occasion.

The Verdict:

Things onboard Godspeed get ugly in A Million Suns. And messy. And stay as beautiful, twisty and frightening as they always were, while only increasing in menace and intensity. I didn't think it was possible to up the ante any further following Across The Universe, but Revis pilots her ship with the effortless ease of a pro. She gives us this brilliant balance between human emotion and fallibility, sweet romance and action and mystery.

Just as beautifully written, frightening and atmospheric as it's predecessor, A Million Suns ratchets up the mystery and intrigue to almost unbearable levels. Revis delivers a sci-fi come Dystopian masterpiece that will thrill fans and leave them desperate for more. Now... To figure out how cryogenically freeze myself so I can survive the year-long wait for Shades Of Earth...

Books in This Series:

  1. Across The Universe
  2. A Million Suns
  3. Shades Of Earth (expected 2013)

27 comments:

  1. Great review! I WANT THIS. I WANT THIS NOW. I must read faster!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not read this review. I haven't read the first so didn't want to ruin it by reading this. However, due to your awesome five star rating these are going up on my to-read list. Just so you know! :D

    Sammie <33

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a kick ass review my dear! muah!!! you are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I read this one last week and OMG! it blew my mind holy cow!!! So many surprised from beginning to end!! My dear!! aaaaah! so freaking good! too bad it ends next year! noooooooo!!

    ^.^

    Dazzling Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeeeee! Thank you thank you thank you!!!!
      SOOO many surprises! AMS STUNNED me :O
      WANTS SHADES OF EARTH NOW NOW NOW!

      Delete
  4. Gosh, your review is always so FANTASTIC it makes me want to read the book now! ♥ The problem now is, I haven't read Across the Universe!!! Really really need to find the perfect time to read it! I can feel your love for this book, Sarah! ;)

    Celine @ Forget-me-not

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe! I so hope you love AtU, Celine! It's AMAZING ♥

      Delete
  5. **Covers eyes** Must not look! I haven't read the first book yet! But 5 stars? Yay! :D So excited to start this series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mwaha! Seriously. Both books are A M A Z I N G. SO worth reading :)

      Delete
  6. GAH, this book tore me apart! It was so suspenseful, I loved it! (I actually liked it better than AtU!) I agree, the wait for Shades of Earth is going to be TERRIBLE! I need book three now!
    - Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, I could replace my whole review with what you've said just here. YES! EXACTLY! EEEEEE! SoE NOOOOW! ♥♥♥

      Delete
  7. Better than Across the Universe? Oh my gosh, why do I keep passing up my chances to read this book??? It sounds absolutely AMAZING! <3 I adored ATU and the way that it had dual narratives between Amy and Elder too, so it makes me so happy to hear that they grow as characters in AMS! :) Their imperfections are definitely what make them perfect characters to love and hate!

    Amazingly beautiful review as always, Sarah! You just made me exponentially more excited to get my hands on this sequel! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's SO. GOOD. AtU was one of my (top 3) books of 2011, and I swear AMS is JUST AS GOOD!

      Eee! Mimi! I can't wait for you to read it so I cna read your review! ♥

      Delete
  8. *attacks* OMG I need this book now! I'm waiting for AU release because I'm trying to control my TBR but...ARGH. So happy you enjoyed this :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *throws book at you and backs away*
      Hehehe!
      It's worth the wait, and it's a good idea keeping your TBR in check ;)

      I LOVED it. Prepare to be shocked. It's incredible--as good as the first :)

      Delete
  9. OH MY GOSH. NEED THIS BOOK. RIGHT NOW. PREPARED TO CRYOGENICALLY FREEZE SELF UNTIL AUSTRALIAN RELEASE BECAUSE THE WAIT IS SO DIFFICULT.

    Obviously I LOVED Across the Universe aswell and oh my, you make A Million Suns sound a MILLION different shades of amazing. Because obviously it is. I love how you describe the feelings between Amy and Elder and oooh menance and chaos and unrest? Why does that fascinate me so? >D Definitely shaping into one of my fave sci-fi series, I know the sequel will blow me away as it did you. FREXING GOOD REVIEW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSSS! Maybe if the AU YA blogging community puts our diabolical minds together we can figure out the cryo issue? We'll be set.

      Mwaha! Why does it fascinate you? No idea O____O
      XD

      Delete
  10. *sniff* I can't read your review, because I have yet to read the first oneeeee. :( I know, I fail! I want toooo. I need to! As soon as my money arrives, I'm ordering it. *decides*

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with Brodie on this one. I NEED THIS BOOK PRONTO! I really loved Across the Universe - such an unqiue story - and gosh this sequel sounds bloody fantastic! Amazing review! Thanks for making me lust over this sequel! Thanks a lot . . . haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSSS! Oh my goodness, Erin! It's SO. EFFING. GOOD.
      You'll love it. I love it when sequels live up to their predeccesors, and it SO does! :D

      Delete
  12. I am looking at this post through my fingers because I have shamefully not read the first book yet! I'm glad to see you give book two 5 stars, though--it's rare when the middle/sequel lives up to the first. Can't wait to get started reading this! :)

    ***

    Author Gail Carriger shares her favorite romantic book scene at The Midnight Garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noooo! So understand that--so many books, so little time. Honestly? The only reason I read it initially was that gorgeous cover, but it got me HOOKED :D

      Delete
  13. Ah I love reading your reviews because you write them so well! You've really captured how frightening and the trepidation of the ship. I didn't like this book as much as the first but I thought it was a pretty good follow up! So true about them being "imperfect beings" because I found myself hating and loving them too. I'm so curious to see how Shades of Earth would turn out! Wonderful review as always, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeeee! Thanks Elena ♥
      I didn't love it *quite* as much, but I felt that--for me--it was more a headspace thing, not the book itself. I TOTALLY love-hated them! Yes!

      And when I say quite, I mean MARGINAL. I mean the first I would have give 6 stars to if I could... this I would have given 5 and half ;)

      Delete
  14. Okay, I am going to refrain from reading this review. I really want to read this series so I don't want to spoil it for myself. But since I know you gave it 5 stars then that's all the proof I need to buy these books. Thanks, S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe! Good job. It's impossible to review it without spoilering the first book, and the first book is SO good if you don't know what's coming :D

      Delete
  15. Ugh! I can't even read the review :( BOO!

    I'm sure it's wonderful. Like every other review on the site :) But I'll def drop by when I finish ATU!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *HUGS*
      It's SO good, Kristin!
      EEEE! Do you own AtU? YOU HAVE TO READ IT! :OOOO

      Delete

LinkWithin


Currently Reading:

Follow Me

Can't see Google Friend Connect? Join This Site

Want an e-mail notification when there's a new post at saz101? Enter your e-mail, and the Feedburner faeries will answer your wishes ♥

 

I receive books from publishers, in exchange for honest reviews. When this is the case, I state so at the end of each post. This doesn't effect my review of the book, or my opinion, and I receive no monetary compensation for anything posted on this site.
When you click on a link to Amazon from www.saz101.com, I receive a small referral fee on any purchases made. It won't cost you any more to buy your books this way, but it does help to support this blog.
If you have any questions about any of the content on this site, contact me :)