Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Fated, Sarah Alderson

Can I steal her eyes?
Jeepers Creepers style?
Title: Fated
Author: Sarah Alderson (author website)
Release Date: Feb. 2012 by Simon & Schuster Australia
Age Group: Young Adult
Genre: Paranormal
My Rating:1 star2 star3 star4 star

Excitement! Action! Gorgeous boys and obscure prophesies! Add to that a kickass heroine, and Sarah Alderson’s Fated has it all.

From Goodreads:
What happens when you discover you aren't who you thought you were? And that the person you love is the person who will betray you? If your fate is already determined, can you fight it?

When Evie Tremain discovers that she’s the last in a long line of Demon slayers and that she’s being hunted by an elite band of assassins –Shapeshifters, Vampires and Mixen demons amongst them – she knows she can’t run. They’ll find her wherever she goes. Instead she must learn to stand and fight.

But when the half-human, half-Shadow Warrior Lucas Gray - is sent to spy on Evie and then ordered to kill her before she can fulfil a dangerous prophecy, their fates become inextricably linked. The war that has raged for one thousand years between humans and demons is about to reach a devastating and inevitable conclusion. Either one or both of them will die before this war ends.

If your life becomes bound to another’s, what will it take to sever it?

Seventeen year old Evie Tremain is a waitress in a backwater diner, and she’s just trying to make it through the day... so she can make it through the week, the month, the end of school, and get the hell out of the town she grew up in. The town that has grown way, way too small. Meanwhile, Lucas—half human, half Unhuman Shadow Warrior—knows nothing but revenge. Hunters killed his family... and Evie Tremain is his next target.

Evie doesn’t know she’s a Hunter, the last in the line of hundreds of generations of demon slayers. She doesn’t know the life she wants to escape from could never last, even if she wanted it to. But when she’s attacked in the alley behind the diner by a girl with green skin and a boy with a tail, Evie’s plunged into a world she never knew existed and embroiled in a millennia-old war... the outcome of which rests firmly on her shoulders. Now Evie’s training to kill Unhumans—beings from another dimension... and she has to deal with the new boarder at her house... a beautiful boy named Lucas.

Evie! Evie! Evie Let’s Her Hair Down... After Losing An EAR:

Training to be a kickass hunter is tough.

After her father’s death, a year ago, Evie became numb, an icy, crystalline shell enveloping her heart. She didn’t think anything could hurt her anymore. Months later, her best friend is killed. The pain and the betrayals stack up and now she’s just angry. It’s this anger, coupled with the fact that she’s so jaded, that makes Evie so fun to read. She’s never without a smartass retort, and her anger drives her. She takes nothing lying down, and she’s tough. Watching her come into her own, and discover her own strength—both the physical and inner kinds—is a joy. One of the things I loved most about Evie—and Lucas—is that they ask questions: Of themselves, of each other, of the people around them. And they ask the right questions. I love smart heroes.

I don’t know if anyone’s a Buffy fan, but I got serious Buffy vibes from Fated. Which I LOVED. From Evie’s cheerleading history and smart-mouthed sass, to her reluctant acceptance of a destiny thrust upon her and a world filled with monsters she has to fight, I loved this side of Fated. Ladies and gentlemen, we have a new Chosen One. Meet Evie Tremain. She even has a stake.

Fated is an emotionally intense journey for Evie, and I felt her pain throughout it. When the icy numbness she’d shed begins to creep back in, I felt her emptiness. She has to make tough choices, but when she finally makes her own choices I was so damn proud of her.

Romeo:

Fated is told in dual narrative: Evie’s and Lucas’s. While we definitely see more of Evie (who I loved), I loved being in Lucas’ head. Equally as broken and tortured as Evie, Lucas turns up to assassinate Evie... but finds he can’t. He’s drawn to her instantly, and finds himself torn between his oath to The Brotherhood—the Hunter-killing organisation he belongs to—vengeance for his parent’s deaths, and protecting this strange, fierce girl. There’s a Romeo & Juliet vibe going on with this pair, which I loved. The two are drawn to one another by forces almost outside of their control. And Lucas? *sighs* Another swoon-worthy male lead. Fierce, gorgeous, tortured... we watch him grow into himself, choose his own path and discover something worth living—really living—and dying for again.

Cloaks and Daggers... and Tails:

I love the world Alderson’s created in Fated. The history of conflict, the six other realms, the acid-skinned Mixen demons and razor-tailed Scorpios. The whole history of the Hunters. While we get only sketchy details—the conflict is mainly centred on Evie and Lucas in the here and now—we get teasing glimpses into a far larger world. There’s a large cast of secondary characters for a 300-page book, but they’re fascinating. They add layers and depth to the world, and repeatedly surprised me by revealing sides and agendas I didn’t know were there. Not everyone is what they seem.

The Verdict:

Smart, fast-paced and relentlessly entertaining, Fated delivered everything I want from a book and more. From the sharp, witty dialogue and kickass action, to the bone-melting romance and long awaited kiss, Fated never failed to keep me enthralled. I fell in love along with Evie and Lucas, and, while there’s nothing certain at this point in time, I’m hoping for a sequel. Sarah Alderson provides a satisfying conclusion to Fated, but with a prophecy to fulfil, destinies to claim, and foes left undefeated, Fated holds all the pieces to a fantastic series.

An enormous thank you to Simon & Schuster Australia for providing a review copy of Fated!

43 comments:

  1. Ooh, I like the idea that it has a Buffy vibe. Total Buffy fan. Hey, stop laughing. Buffy was a legit show. (I liked the tv show the most)

    Sarah: please tell me you have seen "My Name is Bruce." It's a must for Bruce fans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ARE YOU KIDDING? Why would I be laughing *thumbs chest* I am an EPIC Buffy fan. As in, used to watch it EVERY night on TV, the entire time it was on, have watched so many marathon, I don't know how to explain, and I maybe currently have the ENTIRE BOXSET on loan from (even bigger Buffy fan) Mum. OMG, I freaking love Buffy. Even the movie. And I love Joss Whedon. Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse, whateves. I'M THERE.

      It TOTALLY has a Buffy vibe, and it has a more... umm... adult feel than some YA I've read. Evie isn't an unsure of herself teenage girl. She's confident, jaded, and has that adult UF protagonist feel. Like an early-era Cat Crawford, if you know what I mean?

      And... what is 'My Name Is Bruce' you tell of... why of WHY have I not seen this? :O
      Have you seen the Bruce Campbell Old Spice Guy ad?

      Delete
    2. Still haven't watched Dollhouse yet, Sarah. It's the last Joss Whedon show I need to see. LOVED the rest of his work though! Even though he tends to rip out my heart and stomp on it every once in awhile! Lol.

      Delete
    3. NATALIE! UGH! YES. The man is cruel cruel curel. Did you watch Serenity? And the ending of Doctor Horrible would have been sad if it wasn't so camp.

      Dollhouse is a weird little one. I *liked* it, but ppl seemed unsure :(

      Delete
  2. Okay, the reply is not working for me right now because all technology hates me, so new comment.

    I literally watch buffy reruns over and over agian. One of the best shows ever.

    Love Bruce in the Old Spice ad. Freakin' hilarious.

    OMG, I can't believe you haven't seen My Name is Bruce. Bad, Bruce fan, bad. It's about a town that gets infested with demons/spirits and this kid goes and finds Bruce Campbell the actor because he fought demons in Evil Dead. It's a horrible movie, but you have to watch it if you like Evil Dead and The Bruce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, I *KNOW* this one, but I haven't seen it. I remember reading about it... uh... Maybe on his blog?

      And YES! BUFFY! BUFFY! BUFFY! Over and over and over. I NEVER get tired of it, but unfortunately, my teenage fangirling over it has caused hubby to LOATHE it. He refuses to watch it now :(

      Delete
  3. Smart, fast-paced and relentlessly entertaining AND a kick-ass heroine? You've pretty much used up all of my buzzed words when trying to decide something out! This is such a fun and fantastic review, I'm smiling just reading it. If this is how the review is, I'm super excited for the book! I know dual POVs are practically old hat by now but I like them a lot. I always like knowing what's going through the guy's head, haha. Can't wait to read this book and thank you so much for this review. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeee! Thanks Elena! Oh, I so hope you get to read this and enjoy it. I know what you mean about dual POVs (I don't know if you read any romance, but it's ALWAYS there in romance), but I LOVE this. I love getting in both parties' heads, and I love it especially when the guy's part is well written... you know, when he's not a teenage girl? :P

      Seriously, Fated is fantastic. I read someone describe it as a 'popcorn' book (NOT in a bad way), but it's kind of like action-intrigue-action-Action-ACTION! I LOVED this. It has a really cinematic quality to it--it'd make a great film :D

      Delete
    2. I literally just got an ebook of it! and haha, yes I do read romance. My reading list so far this year has been all YA + romance. Kiiind of embarrassing but they're so easy to read. Oh man, I know what you mean about the teenage girl bit. I absolutely hate it when I read a book with a male character POV and it's blatantly written by a girl.

      It really does sound like it would make a great film! At the rate YA is going, it will probably be optioned soon if it hasn't already.

      Delete
    3. Mwaha! Yesss, this is true. But it'd make a REALLY GOOD film.

      And you've got it. Exactly. I was reading a book recently (PNR historical romance) and male POV was great... until halfway through when he turned into a teenage girl :S AAAAANNND he was meant to be a 100-odd year paranormal dude. Hmm.

      YA + Romance? I get what you mean, and everything I've read this year = exactly the same :D

      I so hope you enjoy it! Eeeee!

      Delete
  4. Freakin awesome review Sarah! As always! So, soooo glad you loved this! I'm so reading for another Fated book...or anything else by Sara Alderson. She totally rocks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EEEEE! Thank you, and ME too! OMG, she's amazing. I've only read this, but I can't WAIT to get my paws on Hunting Lila! Fingers crossed we get sequels for Fated. It'd make an AMAZING series.

      Delete
  5. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYY!!!!! <-- multiply that by a million and you have how happy I am that you loved this, Sarah!! <3 Oh my gosh, I agree with everything you said in your review! Awesome characters, world, heroine, LUCAS (<3333), and just about everything else... that all adds up to a MEGA-awesome book, IMO! ;) & I adore dual POVs too because it's so swoon-worthy to read about how the guy feels about the girl!

    AMAZING review, Sarah!! <3 The wait for the sequel feels so much farther away LOL! x)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EEEEEEE! Thanks Mimi! OMG, I loved this book, and I'm dying for a sequel. EVERYTHING YOU SAID! Especially Lucas :D

      I'm planning on reading Hunting Lila to get my through the waiting :D

      Delete
  6. I LOVED that she told it in dual narrative... sometimes that approach fails, but it really worked for this and I kinda get excited about being able to probe around in both the hero and heroines minds ;D

    ASJHFDJGKLHDGKLDJV. SARAH. REVIEW. AMAZING. SO WELL. YOU WRITE. NO WORDS. DESCRIBE.

    I am sooo excited for you to read Hunting Lila because I KNOW you will lovelovelove it! Alex/Lila, Alex/Lila, Alex/Lila - oh their sexual tension. Yeah. Sarah has proven she NAILS the sexy no matter who she's writing about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EEEE! Brodie! Me too! Dual narrative is a really common romance novel trope, but I LOVE it. I love seeing both sides of the story, and I'm reading A Million Suns at the moment, and, to quote: "ASJHFDJGKLHDGKLDJV."

      I... uh... maybe just ordered Lila. I mean, as in, I just finished raving about dual narrative, went to BD, hit 'order', and I've come back to finish writing this comment. Ummm... seriously, so, to date, I think I've bought every book you've told me I should read O___O
      Are you mind controlling me?

      Delete
    2. ASJHFDJGKLHDGKLDJV!!!! A MILLION SUNS! You tease you tease you tease! I take it the rest of the story is living up to the amazing first chapter?

      BUAHAHAHAHA*coughhacksplutter* What? Mind control? What's that?? *emmmmpty your booookshelf and give brooooodie all your booooooks!*

      But YAY!! Honestly, you know I OBVIOUSLY loved Fated, but Hunting Lila still remains my favourite so... what does that say about the book? LOTS.

      Delete
  7. Oh Oh Oh! Awesome. Just awesome. I love your review and now it's definitely being bumped up my to-read pile. Well, and to buy pile. I think I'll love Evie and Lucas based on your review! Well, probably the entire story. Want!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Rebecca, I hope you love it! I haven't heard a single negative review of Fated, and I really enjoyed it. It's a nice shortish one, too. Sometimes I like a quick read :D

      Delete
  8. Grrr, reply is still not working for me. Anyways, I forgot to mention the other shows you brought up. Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse. K, I have only watched Angel (Please God, let David Boreanaz meet me one day and fall in love with me) Still watch Angel reruns too. So if Joss Whedon did these other shows, I must watch them. Don't know why I haven't heard of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *grumble* stupid reply.
      OMG. Firefly is like... cowboy/western... IN SPACE. So Clint Eastwood meets Farscape? Did you ever watch Farscape? Never mind.

      It's WEIRD. The first ep was kind of like "WTFery?" but OMG, once you get the hang of what's going on, it's amazing. The idea is that people don't change. They're living out in the frontier colonies of the known areas of space, and they don't have massive resources or huge amounts of technology... so there's a contrast between hi-tech and and the vast uncharted regions of mainly unpopulated planets and space-wastelands. AWESOME. It only got one season which is SO SAD, because it was getting really amazing. better and better as the series went on, and it has a massive cult following. Fans are called Brown Coats :D

      Dollhouse is... interesting. The main character is played by Eliza Dushku (who played Faith, the Slayer in Buffy and Angel). It's good. Though watch Firefly first. TRUST ME :D

      DAVID BOREANAZ FTW! <3333
      I swear my Mum started watching Bones for him alone :P

      Delete
  9. asjkfhkjlhf

    I am DETERMINED (determined, I tell you!) to read Sarah Alderson's books. They sound excellent and they look awesome and everyone says they are excellent so really, the only un-excellent thing in this situation is me :( NOT FOR LONG, THOUGH! Because, remember: I am DETERMINED!

    (Faaaaantastic review, Sarah. Must be in the name.)

    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, well, now is a GOOD time. There's only 2 published (this, and Hunting Lila), and a sequel to Lila coming out in... umm... August or October? I hear AMAZING things about Lila. For serial.

      Also, have I mentioned how much I freaking LOVE your avatar/user pic? <3333 Hufflepuff!

      Delete
  10. Nope, haven't seen Farscape either. Crap, how am I missing all these?

    Oooh, I like how Firefly sounds. Great concept. OMG, I totally remember Dollhouse now. Never seen it but remember the previews and stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Farscape = amazing. And, yeah. It's only one season, so not long. AND THEN THERE'S A MOVIE. A heartbreaking, heartbreaking movie.

      Ooooh, you know what? The movie works a standalone. You could totally watch the movie and get a feel for it... though the series is much more western the movie. SERIOUSLY. The movie and the series?
      SO.
      QUOTABLE.

      "CURSE your sudden yet inevitable betrayal!"

      Delete
  11. Oh! I did not know this was a duel narrative

    I wont lie ~ my main interest in this one is Lucas, haha. After how well Sarah did the chemistry in Hunting Lila, I cannot resist more of that ;)

    I hope to get a copy of this one soon

    Love this review. You have such an energetic and unique style!

    xx Nomes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I wont lie ~ my main interest in this one is Lucas"

      Mwaha! It's good to see you have your priorites straight :D

      SO! I STILL haven't read Hunting Lila, but I ordered it yesterday. SO excited to get my paws on this one :D

      Delete
  12. Aaaaahhhhhh....I've been dying to comment on this review but because of my silly internet breakdown, I haven't!! But here I am swooning over your review. Gosh, what an awesome review, Sarah!!!! So glad you enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like training sequences. Don't ask me why. I love Buffy, and any good kick ass heroine. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mwaha! Me toooo! And this has them aplenty... and the verge on edge of cruel and sadistic. Thanks you!!! xx

      Delete
  14. Oh my god! I've never heard of this book before but it sounds amazing!!!! I love Buffy so this sounds like it would be perfect for me :)

    Gret review Sarah :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chrissie, it's REALLY GOOD! I wonder if Sarah's published primarily in Australia... Seriously entertaining, fast paced, relatable characters and serious chemistry between the leads... what more could you ask for? :D

      Delete
  15. ohhh I love Buffy, and I think I'm going to love this book, if it's anything like Buffy. It sounds amazing! Wonderful review, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, I love Buffy, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE that you do too! It's a fabulous little book, and it works as a standalone, so it's kind of nice to read as-is? I hope you like it if you get to it xx

      Delete
  16. Geez, what is happening with me? I commented yesterday & it disappeared? Sorry! AAAA....Lucas the Romeo, take me away please! LOL. I haven't read any books from Alderson yet but planning to read Hunting Lila first!!! Your review = PERFECTION! <3 SO glad you loved it, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fated sounds like a fun, adventurous book. I love smart characters. I also really enjoy the enthusiasm in your review. I must add this yo my tbr.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea! It's seriously fabulous... you know when you're reading a book, and characters are behaving a way that just seems silly, you at least want them to be aware of their actions, or question why they're doing something? These people think, question, and if they're behaving a way they know they shouldn't, they acknowledge it, I just loved this. It's a GREAT book!

      Delete
  18. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I cannot wait to read this book!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nea! OMG, this was almost my exact feeling before I got it--everyone was RAVING about it, and I was about to cry... then it arrived! Squee! Hope you get it SOOOON! xx

      Delete
  19. Omigosh, this book sounds AMAZING. Like, whoa. I love the concept! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Great review! *goes off to see if it's coming out in the US*
    - Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, lauren, I hope you get your hands on it quickly! It's a fab book :D
      And thank you! xx

      Delete
  20. Seriously amazingtastic review! I wish i could write them as awesome as you do! I'm adding Fated to my wish list and hoping it comes out in the US soon! Evie sounds like the heroines i love - smart, smartass and kickass :D

    April @ My Shelf Confessions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, April! Thank you xx
      I really loved Fated, and I'm really looking forward to reading her first book, Hunting Lila. I so hope it comes out and you get to read it soon, too! xx

      Delete

LinkWithin


Currently Reading:

Follow Me

Can't see Google Friend Connect? Join This Site

Want an e-mail notification when there's a new post at saz101? Enter your e-mail, and the Feedburner faeries will answer your wishes ♥

 

I receive books from publishers, in exchange for honest reviews. When this is the case, I state so at the end of each post. This doesn't effect my review of the book, or my opinion, and I receive no monetary compensation for anything posted on this site.
When you click on a link to Amazon from www.saz101.com, I receive a small referral fee on any purchases made. It won't cost you any more to buy your books this way, but it does help to support this blog.
If you have any questions about any of the content on this site, contact me :)