Saturday, December 10, 2011

Digging Up a Favourite: Eternal Kiss Of Darkness (Night Huntress World #2), Jeaniene Frost

Title: Eternal Kiss Of Darkness
Author: Jeaniene Frost (author website)
Release Date: July 9th 2010 by Avon
Age Group: Adult
Genre: Paranormal Romance
My Rating: 1 star2 star3 star4 star

The Night Huntress books, by fabulous evil-author, Jeaniene Frost, are one of my most favouritist UF/PNR series. So, because I can, every Saturday for the next few weeks, I'm going to dig up reviews of Night Huntress books. I'd love to hear your thoughts on these books. Love them? Hate them? Can't wait for a double dose of Vlad with the Night Prince books next year?

From Goodreads:
Chicago private investigator Kira Graceling should have just kept on walking. But her sense of duty refused to let her ignore the moans of pain coming from inside a warehouse just before dawn. Suddenly she finds herself in a world she's only imagined in her worst nightmares.

At the center is Mencheres, a breathtaking Master vampire who thought he'd seen it all. Then Kira appears, this fearless, beautiful . . . human who braved death to rescue him. Though he burns for her, keeping Kira in his world means risking her life. Yet sending her away is unthinkable.

But with danger closing in, Mencheres must choose either the woman he craves, or embracing the darkest magic to defeat an enemy bent on his eternal destruction.

Review:

Eternal Kiss Of Darkness, or: The Book In which Jeaniene Frost channels Queen of the Damned Era Anne Rice and Breaking Dawn.

This is the second 'Night Huntress World' Novel. Meaning, it's part of the Cat and Bones world, but not a Cat and Bones story. In Eternal Kiss of Darkness we follow Kira--a tough and caring PI with a dark history--as well as an old favourite: dark and mysterious Mencheres. The story is told from each of the two's POV, swapping between the two.

After reading the Night Huntress novels, it is really interesting learning about Mencheres past and history. In the Cat/Bones books, we only see him through Cat's filter, and we know (fairly enough), that this is strongly coloured by her opinions on him. here we see beyond his manoeuvring and quiet composure, to previously unseen raw and vulnerable side.

After 4500 years, recent events are catching up with him. His (seriously evil) wife is finally dead, his line's future is safe under the care of Bones, and he's world weary. Rather than the unflappable demeanour we encounter through his dealings with Cat, we discover a sense of humour and a long and painful history. We also discover details of his relationships with other favourites, such as Vlad and Bones, and the deep bond of affection and love he feels for the latter, despite the hurt the two are holding against each other after recent events.

Kira's an interesting addition to the cast. It would have been easy for Frost to write a Cat 2.0, but the two are different, and I found in Kira a damaged, but likable, character. The attraction Kira and Mencheres have to each other is palpable, and we have a generous helping of the steamy, R-Rated scenes we've come to expect from Jeaniene Frost's novels.

What I found interesting about the book was the history. Cat and Bones aren't old. If the Night Huntress books were told from Bone's POV, we might learn more due to his close bond with Mencheres. But, as it stands, we don't know too much about the vampire race's history, government, legends, etc. The ancient Egyptian mythology, and thousands of years of history and vampire involvement scream 'Queen of the Damned' to me. Mencheres and his family remind me so much of Akasha and Enkil, and the feud between he and his uncle brought up memories of the cast of ancients from the Vampire Chronicles. The corrupt members of their governing group reminds me of the Volturi, and even the 'good guys' involved are terrifying.

Eternal Kiss Of Darkness is a good story, with everything you expect: intrigue, romance, betrayal, etc. There's a lot less action than you'd expect in a Cat and Bones novel, but I enjoyed this. It's a more character driven story, focusing on the relationship between Kira and Mencheres. An interesting and very-readable addition to the Night Huntress group of books, and I don't think fans will be disappointed.

My only really beef is this: Eternal Kiss Of Darkness is set in-between books 4 and 5 of the Night Huntress series, and while the series still makes sense, you may feel like you're missing a few details if you don't read this in order. I'm all for side novels, and I loved it, but still...

Books in This Series:

  1. Halfway To The Grave
  2. One Foot In The Grave
  3. At Grave's End
  4. Destined For An Early Grave
  5. First Drop Of Crimson (Night Huntress World #1)
  6. Eternal Kiss Of Darkness (Night Huntress World #2)
  7. This Side Of The Grave
  8. One Grave At A Time (September 2011)
  9. As yet untitled book 7, expected 2012.

Want It?

Get it from Book Depository
Get it from Amazon

10 comments:

  1. Oh Dear! I havent read this one yet nor the last book of Cat and Bones snif! Im falling behind! However I never really considered in reading this book but it seems I should XD It seems very interesting what you said about Mancheres and all the ancient mythology told in this book! Thanks for sharing my dear! kiss kiss! Awesome review ^___^

    Dazzling Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg my copy of the first book arrived. I cannot wait to read this series!
    Great review Sarah!

    ♥Ficbookreviews♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems like we have the same taste in books, cause Jeaniene Frost is one of my favies, too ;-)
    I enjoyed First Drop of Crimson a whole lot more, however. Was it just my imagination or does Kira not like Cat?! (I got it this way and developed a little aversion to Kira´s character...)
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Natalia: Oh, these books are so SOOO fun! I hope you enjoy them if you read them. I LOVE your reviews. You get me so excited for everything you read! I want you to read them just so I can read another!

    @Lelaine: SQUEE! Oh, Lelaine, you're gonna LOVE it! I so can't wait to hear your thoughts! xx

    @Yearning Mermaid: YESS! I TOTALLY got this vibe, but I kind of ended up thinking that Kira's just really protective of Mencheres (funny, I know, but I think Menchere's even comments on it in his internal dialogue, and is kind of bemused). She's never met Cat or Bones before, knows NOTHING about them, and then they show up and start grilling her new man-friend, and laying into him about a whole bunch of events WAY beyond his control... so I kind of wound up think it wasn't dislike, just that protectiveness, mixed with waryness... none of her encounters with vampires so far have been good, so it'd make sense. But maybe I'm just rationalising it? In the next book, they seem to get along OK, and I was SOOO glad Cat finally talks to Mencheres and has the "Uh, so, I'm sorry for being a raging bitch" talk XD

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this book. You are right, it is very character driven rather than a whole bunch of action. It is actaully a nice change of pace. I love the history and Kira was very different from Cat which I think was important for Frost to do. Copy-Cat characters are boring. Lol, get it? Copy-Cat - Copying Cat the character. Okay, if I have to explain it then it ain't funny. Woops. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Jennifer: You just made me laugh out loud. Actual laughing. To myself. I'm alone in the house... well, I have cats (ha! More cats!), but my giggling is beneath them, I'm sure. Maybe I'm tired, but I thought it was hilarious. I'm grinning like a loon. UGH! I must be old. It's only 10:30 and I'm tired? >.<

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, being tired at 10:30pm is better than being up at 4am, like I am right now. Once I start working on my blog time gets away from me. OMG. I just added that LinkWithin widget that comes up after every post to suggest similar posts. Like the one you have. I LOVE it. So happy you had it so I could steal it from you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mwaha! It's a cool widget, huh? And super easy to install. I'm glad to be of service (indirectly XD)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness!! Jeaniene Frost is another one of those authors that everyone loves but I've still been wary to read things by! x) But after reading your review, I'm totally convinced, Sarah! Even if you didn't like this side book as much as the others (which I definitely understand!), this series definitely sounds like one worth reading! ;)

    I'm seriously in love with your reviews -- they always tell me exactly what I want to know! Thanks so much for the convincing, Sarah!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mimi! She's SO much fun... to be honest, I was kind of put off by the covers? I know what they say, but I just can't help it :S

    They're ridiculously fun to read. Like a more adult Sookie Stackhouse :D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin


Currently Reading:

Follow Me

Can't see Google Friend Connect? Join This Site

Want an e-mail notification when there's a new post at saz101? Enter your e-mail, and the Feedburner faeries will answer your wishes ♥

 

I receive books from publishers, in exchange for honest reviews. When this is the case, I state so at the end of each post. This doesn't effect my review of the book, or my opinion, and I receive no monetary compensation for anything posted on this site.
When you click on a link to Amazon from www.saz101.com, I receive a small referral fee on any purchases made. It won't cost you any more to buy your books this way, but it does help to support this blog.
If you have any questions about any of the content on this site, contact me :)